Meet Dr. Kaayla
If you suspect that health foods like soy and kale are killing you. but that butter, bacon and other traditional foods could be the secret to living, long, naughtily and well, then you’ve come to the right place.
Naughty Nutrition® is the place to learn:
- The “fats of life”
- Why cholesterol is your “friend with benies”
- What plants bite back
- Why you should “lose your vegan-ity”
- How to “practice safe soy”
- The “dirty little secrets” of the food processing and health food industries
- and, most important of all, how to “make love to your life.”™
At this point you might be thinking “sounds good” but who is this Naughty Nutritionist® and why should I believe her?
My story is like many of yours. For many years I was a health seeker who was willing to do whatever it took to get well. Problem was it took me years to figure out what it would take! I tried macrobiotics, Ayurveda, traditional Chinese medicine, food combining, live food veganism, juicing, green smoothies . . . you name it, I did it.
I was a skinny bitch before the skinny bitches were even born. And I can tell you I never ever want to be skinny again, and I never, ever wanted to be a bitch.
Before I got better, I read at least 1,500 health and nutrition books and believed every seductive promise that was out out there. Problem was I did not gain health, energy and mental focus until I discovered the wisdom of Mother Nature and questioned the inventions of Father Technology. As I explored ancestral eating and traditional diets, I decided to bring humor into the mix and to call my spin on a high fat paleo diets Naughty Nutrition.®
Because I wanted to understand the science behind this way of eating, I enrolled in the PhD program in Nutritional Sciences at the Union Institute and University in 2000. I was blessed with some amazing people on my doctoral committee, including:
- Mary G. Enig, PhD, the fats and oils expert who courageously exposed the dangers of trans fats back in the 1970s.
- Dr. Mitchell Ghen. a leader in the field of anti-aging medicine
- Barbara Dossey, PhD, biographer of Florence Nightingale and a founder of the Holistic Nursing Association
- Christina Jackson, PhD, a pioneer in holistic nursing
- And my core adviser, Ira Fritz, PhD, who trained some of the leading nutritionists of our era, was a stickler for quality and held me to high standards of scientific integrity.
I graduated in 2004 and soon after turned my dissertation on the dangers of soy into the book The Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America’s Favorite Health Food. That got me endorsements from Drs. Joseph Mercola, Larry Dossey, Russell Blaylock, Jonathan Wright, Kilmer McCully and many other leading physicians and scientists, and an appearance on The Dr. Oz Show. In 2014, I coauthored the book Nourishing Broth: An Old-Fashioned Remedy for the Modern World, a bestseller that helped usher in the bone broth fad.
In 2015, I published Hook, Line and Stinker: The Truth about Fermented Cod Liver Oil. This expose´ has led many people to thank me for daring to “tell the truth that’s too hot to handle.”
What do I do for fun? Hiking, kettlebells, ballroom dancing and firewalking. Yes I’ve walked on hot coals — five times. Even swallowed a flaming torch. Twice. I also play the organ. The pipe organ. J.S. Bach, which gives me yet another way to pipe up and pursue pipe dreams.
I am the mom of a son and daughter, adopted from Korea and Vietnam, who are now in film school and architecture school respectively, and three cats and a dog.
Frisky enough to follow me? Look up to your right, take me up on the free offer and subscribe to my blog. I promise you no spam, just a whole lot of edu-tainment — education plus entertainment. As The Naughty Nutritionist® I love my food, but know that laughter is truly our best medicine.